Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:46:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Juriy Goloveshkin <j@avias.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: pccard

> >>    does the PC Card support work in 3.0-STABLE(CURRENT)?
> NW> It should.
>
> good. have you seen this working since 19/01/99. I have not. :(

I haven't seen it work at all in 3.0, but that's because I don't run
3.0.  But, many others have claimed it works.

> >>    1) the kernel doesn't respond on card insertion/removal.
> >>    it seems to me that the reason of such behavior is in the string 789 of file
> >>    pccard/pcic.c
> >>
> >>    it has changed from
> >>       if (validslots)
> >>       if (validslots && pcic_irq <=0)
> >>
> >>    are there any problems with irq handling?
> NW> Obviously it doesn't work on your setup.  See the recent discussion in
> NW> freebsd-mobile why using an IRQ is a 'good thing', as well as why some
> NW> folks won't to have that ability remove.
>
> ok. what should I do to run it via IRQ on my Libretto50? :)

Fix the way we configure your PCIC controller so that IRQ's are
generated correctly.  This involves getting documentation on that
controller and seeing where it's broken.

Or, re-enable the 'poll' so that it works w/out IRQ's.

> >> Jan 25 23:30:51 home /kkk: Initializing PC-card drivers: ed ep fe sio
> NW> This line describes all of the drivers that are configured.
> I know. and in 3.0-RELEASE it works. In 3.0-STABLE kernel shows only
> LAST driver. Alhtough it isn`t important because *drivers includes all
> drivers.

Your output showed all of them printing out.

> NW> Note that fdc is not supported.
> options FDC_YE

> >> Ehternet card(if it was inserted before boot) works normally.
>
> NW> That's because it doesn't recognize that the card was inserted, which is
> NW> your original question.
> If card has inserted before boot - it recognized, but... "driver allocation
> failed..."

Try using a different IRQ line in /etc/pccard.conf.

> NW>   Change the line you describe above and it
> NW> should work fine.
> It _works_ with change in 3.0-RELEASE but It doesn't work in

> 3.0-STABLE(after 19/01/99) - driver allocation fails for all of my
> cards. at least in my case :)

The pccardd daemon is trying to use some resource in your system that
FreeBSD is already using.  I have no idea which one, that's for you to
find out.  (Most often it is the IRQ).

Nate