Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:26:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /var/mail nfs corruption

I operate a rather busy shell account service... Big enough that we have
multiple shell machines.

/var/mail is exported on our main NFS server to all the shell servers.

Users keep complaining that their mail files are getting really corrupted
badly, and that they are losing mail.

If they use elm/pine on the machine that actually receives the incoming
mail, they're fine, but if they use elm/pine on a machine with /var/mail
mounted, they lose things like crazy.

Am I missing a step here, or is this just normal for dealing with nfs?

Kevin