Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:22:58 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
Cc:        bluetooth <bluetooth@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No route to host for bluetooth devices

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Eric,
>
>> Well, I've recently updated to the latest current, and while yesterday
>> everything seemed to be working fine, this morning after booting up
>> (no changes were made anywhere, except rebooting), I cannot use
>> bluetooth devices.  Here's some quick info:
>>
>> snippets from /var/log/messages:
>> Nov 16 06:30:58 neutrino kernel: ubt0: ALPS UGX, rev 1.10/11.68, addr 3
>> Nov 16 06:30:58 neutrino kernel: ubt0: ALPS UGX, rev 1.10/11.68, addr 3
>> Nov 16 06:30:58 neutrino kernel: ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints:
>> interrupt=0x81, bulk-in=0x82, bulk-out=0x2
>> Nov 16 06:30:58 neutrino kernel: ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 5)
>> endpoints: isoc-in=0x83, isoc-out=0x3; wMaxPacketSize=49; nframes=6,
>> buffer size=294
>> Nov 16 06:31:08 neutrino kernel: ng_hci_process_command_timeout:
>> ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout
>

> device initialization failed. reset command has timed out. there should
> be message like
>
> "Unable to setup Bluetooth stack for device"
>
> somewhere in your logs.

I could not find that message anywhere (dmesg, or /var/log/messages).
Only thing I saw was:
WARNING: attempt to net_add_domain(bluetooth) after domainfinalize()
which I believe is harmless.

>> # bthidcontrol -a logimouse query
>> Could not perform SDP query on the device 00:07:61:31:27:15. No route
>> to host (65)
>

> yes, and this is because stack was not set properly and as far as system
> concerns you do not have active bluetooth devices. its kinda like using
> the network without network card.
>
>> and just now I did:
>> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth stop ubt0
>> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start ubt0
>>
>> and it started working, so I think my message is bogus, except for one
>

> ok. you basically restart the device and now it works. are you getting
> "ng_hci_process_command_timeout" error when you boot with device attached?

Yes - see the log message output above.

>> question:  am I supposed to have a bluetooth_enable="YES"  in
>> /etc/rc.conf?  I think that's the problem..
>

> no, that is not your problem. the fact that you got the error means that
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth was called and tried to setup the stack. like i
> said, your problem is that device did not respond to "reset" command for
> the very first time.
>
> i will cvsup to -current today and try to reproduce it.

Ok, thanks.  This is a laptop, with an internal bluetooth adapter.  I
can reboot again and see if it does the same thing a second time.  It
could be a timing issue.

Eric