Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:13:43 -0800
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        James Starr <james@dragonmount.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie who is fed up with windows!

Well, it looks like James Starr <james@dragonmount.com> opened his big
mouth again, on Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:00:56 -0800, and spouted out this:

> Hi,
>
>   I've had about all I can stand of windows.  I know very little about
>   using Unix, but my first attempt to set up FreeBSD seemed pretty
>   straight forward.

Mine also, about 3 years ago.

>   Only trouble was the modem.

You need to determine if the modem is a winmodem (software modem) or a
standard modem. I believe it is next to impossible to get a winmodem to
work on any *nix. If it is a winmodem, you would be better off buying a
real modem. And one more point, if you do buy a new modem, buy external.
They are always the easiest to set up.

BTW, welcome to a real operating system. Once here, you'll not go back.
Just keep in mind, there are certain things windoze is better for -
mainly games.

>   Because I'm pretty
>   new to this,  I get frustrated when I can't make something work.
>   But I'm not so frustrated that I'll stick with windows.  I scoured
>   The Complete FreeBSD, but everything I tried doesn't seem to work,
>   and I'm not that much of an idiot.

Also take a look at man ppp. Some say it makes it look more complicated
than it really is, but you should at least read through it. The ppp.conf
default file should be enough though.

>   Shouldn't I be able to install
>   the right modem driver from sysinstall?

I don't believe there is any setup option in sysinstall for ppp.

>   Anyone's suggestions or
>   help will be much appreciated.  Help a Microsoft victim break free!
>
> ~James

The default ppp.conf is a great place to start. I just made a couple
changes to it and it worked. The changes involved simply plugging in the
appropriate info my dial-up. Once again, though, I had an external modem
- 56k 3com. Works like a charm. I use that at work on a rare occasion.
Here at home I have dsl so it's not a problem.

Welcome to the ranks. Glad to have ya!
Regards
--
Chip W