Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:26:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ulrich Gruenebaum <grueneba@zkom.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: group permissions

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer to my group permission problems.

sudo is a quite interesting approach, but is not
applicable in my case (that's my fault, sorry,
I didn't tell you the whole truth ;-)

In my case, I'm exporting a FreeBSD file system via
Samba to some Win clients; therefore samba is the
specific application to read the files. It's just
that I hoped not to need samba's user permissions,
as there are many users and many directories with
different permissions to manage, but it seems that
there is no way around. Perhaps I'll start with a
look at the latest release of SWAT (the samba web
administration tool)...

Thanks
Ulrich

> > does anybody know how to solve the following
> > administration problem on a FreeBSD file server:
> >
> > - There a some large files on the server,
> >   belonging to someone.
> >
> > - The owner and some other users must be able
> >   to read and write them.
> >
> > - Another group of users shall have read-only access.
> >
> > - All remaining users shall have
> >   neither read nor write access.
> >
> > My approach was, to specify group-permissions like below,
> > and putting all r/w users into the specific group 'rwgroup',
> > but this does not allow me to distinguish between the users
> > with r/w and the users with read-only permission.
> >
> >  > ls -lF  file
> >  -rw-rw----  1  user   rwgroup   1024 Dec 13 14:55 file
> >
> > (the owner and all users who are members in group 'rwgroup'
> > have r/w access, others have no access at all. But how can
> > I give read-only access to an additional group of users??)
>
> You might check out sudo; it's in the ports and may be able to handle
> this.
> (...)
>
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/

 Ulrich Gruenebaum (grueneba@zkom.de)
 Tel. +49/(0)231/9700-337
 FAX  +49/(0)231/9700-474

 ZKOM GmbH
 State Diagnostic Systems and Computer Networks
 Joseph-von-Fraunhofer-Str. 20
 D-44227 Dortmund (Germany)