Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:38:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, Gregory_D_Moncreaff@ccmail.ed.ray.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can you install and run FreeBSD on a Iomega Jaz cartridge?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > > It would have to be an old SCSI controller for this... I have an NCR
> > > and an AHA1742 that both work...
> >
> > I've tried mine on an NCR, Bustek BT542 and Ultrastor 34f, and none of
> > them will boot from it, presumably because it says it's a removable.
>
> I think you are insane.  8-).
>
> I use the "turbo" switch on my front panel to swap drive ID's
> between my internal DEC disk and my JAZ drive (0/2, 2/0) (the
> idea of doing this came from Mike Mayberry).

Fair enough.  I use the same switch to enable/disable the BIOS on
the Bt542 because it takes an annoyingly long time to decide that
there are no disks on the bus.

> I boot Solaris, NetBSD, and OpenBSD off of the JAZ drive with
> the "turbo" button "on".

Fair enough.  Perhaps there is some other bogon in my system that causes
it not to work.

> Maybe you need to update your flash BIOS image to a more recent
> version?  Or you are using an NCR 815/825 with onboard BIOS?

No, it's an 810 on a board without flashable BIOS.

> My NCR BIOS is on my ASUS motherboard... I'd have to reboot to see
> the exact rev. (I will if you need it... let me know for sure).

All of the ones I've ever seen report themselves as "NCR SDMS 3.0".

> Heh... I don't think, after looking at a Kawai Km, which expects it's
> SCSI device to not return until the low level format is complete,
> that *any* IOmega drive is built for musicians.  A number of Yahama
> boxes expect the same thing from their SCSI devices as well, and
> since the Bernoulli days, IOmega drives have detached following
> format.

Who formats SCSI drives?  How many musicians even know it's possible? 8)

> There are half-size jumpers on the bottom of the internal version
> of the drive... you should have bought your own shoebox and an
> internal instead of buying an external...

I couldn't find a shoebox that would fit in my satchel, or for that
matter one with a universal power supply.  I need to be able to travel
with mine.