Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:05:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        wmoran@collaborativefusion.com (Bill Moran)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, pierre.riteau@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: SSH Brute Force attempts

Bill Moran wrote:
 > > Pierre Riteau wrote:
 > >
 > > >      Because the 3-way handshake ensures that the source address is not being
 > > >      spoofed, more aggressive action can be taken based on these limits.
 > >
 > > s/not being spoofed/more difficult to spoofe/  ;-)
 >
 > On a modern OS (like FreeBSD) where ISNs are random, the possibility of
 > blindly spoofing an IP during a 3-way handshake is so low as to be
 > effectively impossible.

It depends a lot on the environment, for example whether
the attacker has access (or can somehow get access) to
the server's uplink and trace packets.  This can happen
if the server is located with many other servers on the
same network, which is often the case for co-location
or so-called root servers.

Of course, if the network is regarded "secure", then
you are right.  Spoofing a TCP handshake would be very
difficult in that case.  (I try to avoid the word
"impossible".  Nothing is impossible, especially in
the security business.)

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.