Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:50:14 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd broken on arm?

"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > No.  The correct fix is one that will be acceptable to the upstream
> > vendor, who has a different perspective on things than we do.
> The problem is that the char array isn't guaranteed to be aligned in
> any way.  The fix posted is correct.

The fix posted works for one specific case.  That does not make it
correct.  Sorry to split hairs like this, but I would much prefer a fix
that does not depend on a particular OS and toolchain, and that will be
acceptable to the upstream vendor.  The union trick meets the former
requirement, but I'm not sure about the latter.  There is only one way
to find out: as mentioned previously in this thread, the issue should be
discussed directly with the OpenSSH developers instead of here.

For bonus points, start by verifying that the bug is present in the
latest -portable version from ports.  I haven't updated the base
system's OpenSSH in a while (because I haven't seen any changes worth
the hassle) and the OpenSSH developers aren't going to be happy about a
bug report against 4.5p1 when the latest version is 4.7p1.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no