Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:55:37 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <kevin@your.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incorrect geometry with 750G ciss array

On Apr 24, 2008, at 3:18 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Kevin Day wrote:
>> ciss0: <HP Smart Array E200> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
>> 0xdef80000-0xdeffffff,0xdef78000-0xdef7ffff irq 35 at device 8.0 on
>> pci5
>> ciss0: [ITHREAD]
>> da0: 762977MB (1562578608 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 65535C)
>>
>> Sysinstall's partition editor comes up with 97266/255/63, but it
>> re-complains that it's incorrect after every single keypress in it.
>> If I
>> push ahead anyway, I can't boot (hang after pressing F1 at the
>> loader).
>>
> I don't know about that specific model, but I had similar symptoms
> with
> several Proliants, some of which had the same ciss card, some not,
> which
> are solved by using a different boot loader (i.e. the partitioning is
> fine, just the boot loader isn't). Try sysutils/extipl, search the
> mailing list archives for details.

That was exactly it, but I solved the problem a slightly different
way. Instead of selecting BootMgr after partitioning, I just installed
the standard MBR. That seems to find the partition just fine, and the
system boots okay.

I'll have to do some more digging to see what BootMgr's problem is.

Thanks!

-- Kevin