Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:11:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: SCSI disks / disklabel / vinum]

On Saturday, 17 March 2001 at 20:39:03 -0800, richard childers wrote:
> Is there an upper limit on the number of SCSI disks that can be
> addressed, by default, in the kernel?

There's no default.  The upper limit appears to be 512 (i.e. up to
/dev/da511), though I can't see any reason for this limit based on the
layout of the minor device number.

> I recall encountering a boundary of 4 drives, back a release or
> three ago.

I'm pretty sure it was never this low.  It's possible that there were
only device nodes for four disks, but that has absolutely nothing to
do with the kernel.  You may need to apply a bit of /dev/MAKEDEV until
you can upgrade to devfs, however.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.