Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:58:41 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Setup

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick responses.  To provide more information the setup, I
plugged in some answers below:

>> I have sendmail allowed in /etc/hosts.allow.  I have mx records in all the
>> name databases.  I have O'Reilly's sendmail book on order, and it should be
>> here tomorrow :)  Any other places I should start looking? Does DNS have to
>> be expressly permitted in /etc/hosts.allow?  This makes no sense since i
>> can be pinged and looked up?
>
>Is sendmail running?

Yes, and if I make any configuration changes, I give it a kill -1 just to
make sure.

>Check, if you can reach sendmail from other hosts by with a telnet session
>to your SMTP port (telnet your.hosts.fqdn [smtp|25]) and look if it doesn't
>hear for you.

I have telnet 'permanently' disabled on this box - don't really trust. it.
To run the test though, I enabled it, and was able to telnet in from one of
the upstream nameservers (belonging to the university).  From there, I
successfully ran the short test on pg 467 of The Complete FreeBSD v.2.
Seemed to all work ok  - the test mail was delivered locally.

>Which recipients are test mails addresses to? For example, if you haven't
>configured sendmail.cw properly, your host would be foo.bar.tlh, but you
>it isn't reachable also as bar.tlh.

Locally, I tried sending mail to me@foo.bar and me@machine.foo.bar.  Both
worked.  I had a friend on the west coast try to send mail to both
addresses.  Both failed.

>OTOH, you say you get them back with ``host unknown'' - check for the
>name server of the machine your sending from if it can resolve an MX
>record for the host/domain part of your recipients address. Did you
>wait long enough to let world know of your DNS entries?

It's been about 2 weeks now, actually.  Since I was just setting things up,
I set the expiry at 3 days, and I get warnings that "your SOA expiry is
less than 7 days", but it still runs and resolves just fine.

>When you can reach the host foo.bar.tlh by IP but cannot direct mail
>to it, it has often to do with DNS setup, otherwise your host would
>have sent back that mail (what do those headers look like?)

I just tried to email directly to me@ip, and this is the error message back:

<me@insert.my.ip.here>
550 <me@insert.my.ip.here>... Host unknown (Name server: insert.my.ip.here:
host not found)

Something else I found interesting... apparently, while mail delivery was
being attempted, I got the following line in /var/log/messages:

Dec 16 09:42:31 merlin sshd[60534]: DNS lookup failed for "207.103.119.114".

I tried to do an nslookup from both my machine, and the uni's name server,
and both failed to do a lookup.  That 207.103.x.x is also not part of the
university's domain.

>How did you specify the MX records in your zone configuration?

Did that as explained in O'Reilly's bind & DNS book:

machine	IN A            1.2.3.4
mail		IN CNAME   merlin          ; mail services
ns		IN CNAME   merlin          ; Name service

foo.bar.	IN MX           10 machine.foo.bar	   ; mail

And well, there's an immediate problem... I forgot the bloomin "." at the
end of the machine.foo.bar which is most likely screwing SOMETHIGN up =) Lo
and behold, when I go back and reread the error messages on the rejected
mail, it references no host name machine.foo.bar.foo.bar.  Grrr. :)  OK, so
that error is fixed, assuming that if I make the last line look like:

foo.bar.	IN MX           10 machine.foo.bar.	   ; mail

it will be ok?

Given that I made that correction on my primary NS, which is the one
referenced by internic, do I need to give 3 days (the expiry time) for it
to filter thru? Or should somethign like this be "immediate"?

To respond to Alfred's point:

>you need to add these additional machine names to /etc/sendmail.cw
>or /etc/mail/sendmail.cw check /etc/sendmail.cf to figure out which.

Hopefully I can do that tonight as soon as I have the sendmail book in hand
to read more intelligently.  So far I've only been working off various
online dox and the online sendmail info.  As it stands right now, i have an
/etc/sendmail.cw that reads:

domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com
host.name.that.the.uni.gave.me.months.ago.edu

domains 1,2, and 3 are the three that I registered and need to support mail
for.

I'm assuming (so far) that this is the correct format of the file.

Thanks again all!!!!

Best,
John Papalia