Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:07:15 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        David Samms <dsamms@nw-ds.com>
Cc:        ed@FreeBSD.org, ru@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11/rxvt: su fails to login and prints 'load: ...' on return

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:39:39AM -0400, David Samms wrote:
> This morning I pulled up three rxvt terminals and ssh into a remote
> server.  In each of the three ssh sessions I tried to su and failed
> with the following error message:
>
> %su root
> Password:load: 0.53  cmd: su 38176 [ttyin] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 1556k
> load: 0.53  cmd: su 38176 [ttyin] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 1556k
>
> Client is FreeBSD 8 stable (i386)
> Server is FreeBSD 7.2 Release
>
> An identical report was filed against aterm:
>
> Using a standard xterm, or XFCE Terminal I could su just fine.  Also
> typing stty status '^M' before su, as suggested by Ruslan Ermilov
> solved the problem.

The "load:" part is a FreeBSD nicety, where if you press Control-T in a
terminal window where there's a running process, you get details of the
system (load avg, etc.) and details of the process (current state, time
used, memory, etc.).  In the pty/tty driver, this correlates to VSTATUS,
which sends SIGINFO to the process.  See stty(1) man page, search for
"kerninfo".

I realise this doesn't help solve your dilemma, but I wanted to let you
know where the load line comes from and how you might be able to trace
it back.

I'm also adding Ed Schouten, who's responsible for the pty/tty driver;
he might have some ideas how/why this is happening.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |