Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 00:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/430: bug in tape drivers (fwd)

> >You get more than one "bt0: Try to abort" messages?   That

Yes, and they are repeated attempts to abort the rewind command I
believe.

> More than one "bt0 Try to abort" means  try to abort a previous abort
> command. So I guess SCSI bus itself stuck up entirely. Check keep light
> on borad LED or not.

All disk i/o waits until the rewind finishes.  Disk activity light is lit
during entire rewind.  Once rewind finishes then everything continues
with no trouble.

> >I'm not sure what your work around does:  you end up stretching out
> >the "Try to abort" time until the drive finishes and "unlocks"
> >the host adapter.  So you've tried to abort a few transfers.  Did they
> >abort?  I don't know.  Do you wind up getting a disk retry per
> >abort message after this?

The workaround (a gross and sleazy kludge I admit :-) ) lets me do backups
without bitspraying my disks!

When I have time I want to open the hood on the timeout period calculations,
it seems like timeouts happen faster than they ought to given the comments
in the source.  Maybe there are some pentium-90 incompatible assumptions.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net