Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:02:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Aleksander Rozman" <andy@kksonline.com>
To:        4snova2@gte.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD on vmware 3.0

Poslal Jeff:
> Hi All,
> I've been attempting to install FreeBSD on my vmware 3.0 for several days.  The
problem is that the installed system will not boot properly.

> Vmware states there is a disk geometry problem with versions earlier than 4.4 but
I've actually used 4.4 and 4.5 (with IDE CD drive) without success. Also I've
checked the disk geometry even going so far as placing a dos partition on the system
to help it choose the right one.  The geometry does change for the 8 Gig system with
the dos as expected to 1044/255/63 but then the system enters an infinitely SLOOOOOW
boot (at this point the laptop fan starts to run more making me wonder if the
processor is really working overtime to boot; but that may just be paranoia).

> Certainly something else is wrong with the way FreeBSD works with vmware. I've
tried every kind of trick I can think of including different bootloaders. Any Ideas.