Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:19:50 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@despammed.com>
To:        "David Loszewski" <stealth215@mediaone.net>, "'Nils Holland'" <nils@tisys.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: harddrive error

At 17:03 2001/11/17 -0500, David Loszewski wrote:
>Yea, I'm just using a normal 33/66 cable, I'd assume that it's 80 pin
>since it's just a normal IDE cable.  This harddrive did work on one of
>my other machines so I'll try the new cable when I get home.  Is FreeBSD
>really sensitive when it comes to what cables you use??d

It seems to be (in my experience--which is quite limited.)

I recently got a fairly low-end box---the cable that came with it not only
caused errors on FreeBSD but on Linux as well.  The thing worked fine once
it booted, but I'd get those errors on startup.  MS on the other hand,
didn't indicate any errors (though of course, what happens on boot with MS
is not as easy to determine, and, having already found the swap cable
solution, I wasn't interested enough to really investigate).

As I haven't tried to do any benchmarking, I'm not sure how much of a
difference in performance one will see--subjectively, haven't noticed much,
but neither of the boxes have been terribly stressed yet either.  :)

HTH a little
Scott Robbins