Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:34:44 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Book Request

> >> Has anyone at O'Reilly said why they don't want to do any FreeBSD books?
> >
> > I've approached O'Reilly as well about authoring a FreeBSD book as well.
> > Both Tim and Andy Oram said that they pretty much want to stick with Linux
> > since they believe that's where the market is.

If that's the way they think, I'm terribly disappointed with O'Reilly.
With that attitude, why even bother with Linux, dontchaknow *NT* is
where the market is at?   :-)

> I got a private reply from Andy saying that they had noticed a
> surprising resilience in the UNIX line (doesn't that say a lot!), and
> he would try yet again.  I don't suppose it would do any harm if other
> people would send in a message to the O'Reilly people asking for a
> FreeBSD book.  Don't all do it at once!  A steady trickle has more
> effect.

I'm glad Walnut Creek is bothering to publish your book. Maybe in a
couple of years Walnut Creek will avance to the stature an respect ORA
currently has, an leave the NT market to ORA.

But for FreeBSD's sake if ORA published Greg's book there would probably
be more copies automatically ordered to place on the shelf the first
week than WC would sell in much longer time.