Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:31:24 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lockup during heavy I/O [SOLVED]

Hi folks.

I have several times posted to this list to get help with some
spontaneuos lockups during heavy IDE or network usage.
The machine in question is a dual Celeron II 533MHz, 1G ram and
Promise UDMA100 IDE raid onboard.
This machine has earlier been running win*, linux and BeOS, and
never experienced any problems whatsoever. I recently moved it to
a new case and installed FreeBSD, and since then it has been
everything _but_ stable. I tried replacing ram and IDE drives, I
ran it with the IDE-raid disabled and I tried removing one of the
CPU's. Nothing helped.
This morning it struck me that the only thing that has changed,
besides the case, is the powersupply. I quickly ripped out the
350W A-Open and replaced it with a 450W Enermax. That was about 6
hours ago, since then the machine has constantly been running a
looping 'make -j8 buildworld' parallel with a 'make -j8 clean' in
/usr/ports. This has keeped the loadaverages hovering around 15
constantly, and the box is still running.

It might have been a lack of sufficient power, or the A-Open
powersupply was flaky. I checked the old case, and it has a
Zalman 300W powersupply that keeped the box happy for over a
year, so my guess is that A-Open just doesnt cut it.
Whatever it was, its gone now, and the box is stable as a rock.
Im posting this so future users browsing the archives with
similar problems may find it.

I remember reading a thread earlier where someone asked if the
quality of the powersupply could affect a box's stability. I
guess this proves that the answer is clearly 'YES'.