Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:43:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Do I need a 387 to install FreeBSD ?

On 29-Nov-99 Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine insists on being a victim of the FreeBSD virus

;>

>                                                            : he
> wants an ancient 386 PC to become his gateway to the Internet (via a
> Cable connection).

perfectly reasonable use for a door-stop box, 8 (orisit 12 ?) megs of memory
and you should be good to go.

> I've just read the handbook section on installing FreeBSD and I don't
> see wether the GENERIC kernel needs a 387 or not. What should I read ?
> (the GENERIC conf file does not seem to help) -

maybe you missed the line (?):

options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation

Regards,
--
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net