Date:      Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:12:01 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <Mikhail.Teterin@murex.com>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: leaner and meaner www/firefox

> package (pkg_add), wouldn't you get error when run apps for can't find to
> link foobar.so.5 when you have foobar.so.4? I don't use package, but
> wouldn't package (without library version in Makefile) failed to check for
> need foobar.so.5 and go ahead install it because there was no library
> version info? With the library version would check and give the error
> earlier.

No... See bsd.port.mk's cvs log:

revision 1.424
date: 2002/09/19 00:16:39;  author: kris;  state: Exp;  lines: +72 -39
[...]
* [1] Registering real dependencies: dependency registration looks at the
  currently-installed version of the dependency and registers that version,
  instead of registering the version in ports which may be newer than
  what is installed.
[...]

(I recall pushing for this and submitting my own version of this change, but
sobomax was part of portmgr and I was not...)

Try it and let's get this one over with...

	-mi