Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:39:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, karp@elvisti.kiev.ua
Subject:   Re: IP masquerading (for a LAN, _not_ PPP)

(talking about NAT from ip filter)
>  We work with this software for months.
>  IP filtering works perfect. IP masquerading does not.
>  It seems to work only for 1:1 mapping, otherwise system reboots
>  often. We changed many versions of this IPNAT and many versions
>  FreeBSD (and lot of hardware) and nothing has changed in this time.

I had an aweful time trying to get NAT to run from the IP filter version 3.1.0
sources. I posted a couple "help" messages to the questions groups that got no
helpful replies. I jumped to IP Filter 3.1.2beta and with a script that loads
the loadable module, and rewrites the mapping rules to the new IP number, a
a prof here is now happily remapping his home network through his kernel PPP
line.

maybe the user PPP mapping is easier, but it is nice to have the choice.

--mark.