Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:46:47 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
Cc:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:

> I never sayed that old behavior was better. It, apparently, was very unclear,
> and this is why maintainers of GNU patch changed it. But it is, indeed,
> outside of scope of this subject. The fact (slightly oversimplified) is that
> old (not hacked) patch could correctly apply *most* (old) CVS diffs, while new
> patch cannot. (FreeBSD-hacked patch could apply *all* CVS diffs, but not
> hacked could apply *most*).

"Most" correct variant is even worse that incorrect one.
I.e. any correctness probability less then 100% is simple not correct.

For patch: Makefile's is usual case, since they are often in every
directory. Old patch cause upper level Makefile will be patched instead
of one resides lower in the directory tree. If Makefiles are almost equal,
this patch can even apply sucessfully, which leads to hardly detected
error.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>