Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS client maintenance script

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Atipa wrote:

> No, I agree. I do not have any "wheeled" accounts on NIS (for that reason,
> and security), but if NIS authentication is enabled (any +'s) in
> /etc/master.passwd, and the domain is not bound, it _still_ takes 14
> minutes to su. I thought that was standard behavior; is my setup wrong
> somehow?

  It is standard broken behaviour.  The FreeBSD yplib needs fixing, as
delays for local accounts is completely unnecessary.  It also means that
YP is being referred to more often than necessary, meaning that there is
some (albeit, perhaps very small) unnecessary YP load even when YP is
working normally.

> > > If no network services are available, your users will go away period,
> > > unless they are somehow cached (eg slave server).
> >
> >   For example, it is better that e-mail be delayed until YP is back up,
> > rather than to bounce all e-mail as "user unknown" while YP is down.
>
> How would having +'s in your /etc/master.passwd postpone mail delivery? I

  Because YP calls take so long, that mail times out, at which point it is
retried later.

Tom