Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 09:27:05 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Nathan Stratton <nathan@netrail.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, et-users@netrail.net, freebsd-isp@netrail.net
Subject:   Re: crash

>I am using a 486 DX4 100 as a router, I have a T1 from sprint and a T1
>form mci connected to it. I also have two 10 meg ethernet cards. It is
>running freebsd 2.0.5 and has about 31,000 routes in it's routing table.
>Well my problem is every day or so it will crash. My T1 cards need to be
>reset befoer they reboot so when the system reboots it just locks up
>becaue the T1 cards were not reset.
>
>I changed my reboot command to reset the cards, so if I do a shutdown it
>works great and resets my cards. But what it looks like when the system
>crashes it does not run reboot. What does it run? How can I make my
>system reset my T1 cards just after it crashes and befoer it reboots the
>system?
>
>This is the stuff it put on my screen when it crashed.
>
>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>fault virtual address	= 0x6d2039ca
>fault code		= supervisor read, page no present
>instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf019ef8d
>code segmnt		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, tuype 0x1b
>			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32, gran 1
>processor eflags	= interupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>current process		= Idle
>interrupt mask		= net tty
>panic: page fault

   Would you send me a copy of your kernel config file, please? Also, could
you do an 'nm /kernel | sort' and find the symbols around 0xf019ef8d and send
this to me as well?
   Regarding resetting things: this should be done in the device driver. There
is a driver shutdown hook that is called even when the system crashes, but
better yet, the probe/attach in the driver should be fixed to reset the card
properly so that this isn't an issue.

-DG