Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:38:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, shimon@simon-shapiro.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, capriotti@geocities.com, tom@sdf.com
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

I think a mentor program would do wonders to FreeBSD.  It would help
introduce more programmers into the FreeBSD programming.  It would solve
several problems.

	1) New programmers would become assets to FreeBSD instead of
annoyances.
	2) New programmers could actually get code committed.
	3) Veteran programmers would get help on projects.

I'm speaking from experience here as a "new to programming" FreeBSD user.
I want to get into programming and would love to 'easily be able to find'
a person "in charge" of the area that I am interested in developing.
Also, as a novice in this area, I feel more like a annoyance to the whole
project, because I have to ask so many questions inorder to figure out the
"FREEBSD" way to program before I can get anything accomplished.

However, I really enjoy FreeBSD and the Programming opportunities that it
offers.  I am doing all that I can to make FreeBSD available to more
"average" users.  A mentor program would go along way in helping me to
become a true 'FreeBSD Hacker' that I really want to become.

Until that happens, I'll keep writing instead of programming.

Christopher J. Coleman (whyareyou@lookingforme.com)
Computer Support Analyst I  (509)-762-6341
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/