Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:18:40 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Andrew Carter <andrewc@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subversion 1.0.4 install problem

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 15:28:18 EDT, Andrew Carter scribbled these
curious markings:
> The make part works fine but during install, I get errors complaining that
> libaprutil-0.so.9 and libapr-0.so.9 can't be found.  These files are in
> /usr/local/lib/apache2 but for whatever reason the port can't find them.

The problem is that, for some reason, /usr/local/lib/apache2 isn't in
your library search path. I've solved this by doing:

ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/apache2

It's important that you use the -m flag: otherwise, all of your existing
library search paths will be erased, and you'll be very lucky to fix
them again.

I've seen this problem on two machines, but am not exactly sure of how
to fix it. My guess is that it's something with www/apache2, but it's
very likely that I'm wrong.

> I created symbolic links (ln -s) for the two libapr* shared libraries in
> /usr/local/lib and it appears to work.  Anyone know what's going on here?

Don't *ever* use symbolic links to resolve library issues. *EVER*. It
will only dig you into a hole that may one day become impossible to
escape. This might be a flippant reaction, but I speak from experience.
In fact, once you do the ldconfig command, it may be wise to remove
those symlinks just to be safe. Subversion will still work, because the
linker (at least AFAIK) searches by library name, not by hardcoded
paths. If it doesn't, you'll have to reinstall.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv--