Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2013 13:47:56 +0100
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soekris or .. ?

2013/3/1 Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>

> On 03/01/13 10:56, Frank Reppin wrote:
>
>> On 01.03.13 11:49, Julien Cigar wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> I'm looking for a small Soekris-like (http://soekris.com/) box which
>>> support FreeBSD, any experience or brand to advise .. ?
>>>
>> I once had FreeBSD (7-CURRENT days) running
>> on ALIX boards [ https://shop.tronico.net/ ]
>> for quite a while (mini server).
>> No problems at all.
>>

> I'll second that. I've had an Alix board running pfSense as my
> router/firewall for several years now with zero problems and any downtime
> was due to upgrading the system or power cuts.
>
> The manufacturer's web site is at http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

I also have an alix at home running yet (Alix 2d2). It's a great one and I
made an uptime of 500 days with FreeBSD 8.1 the last year :-).

It does not consumes a lot of power ressources neither. However I advise
only network gateway / firewall / wifi access uses point because of the
small RAM available.

It works out of the box with FreeBSD, only ACPI need to be disabled (for a
date issue only).

Cheers,

--
Demelier David