Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 03:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Beauford <beauford.2002@rogers.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XF86Config - HELP!!!

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Beauford wrote:

I apologize if I seem cynical and completely unhelpful but...

> This can't be this hard.  I have run XF86Config at least 200 times and

Apparently it *can* be this hard, and in some cases (mine) harder.  I've
run various xf86cfg/XFree86 -configure/xf86config etc utilities to get
XFree86 to work on my ATI All in Wonder 16mb AGP and Dell M781p probably
200^200 times >;-( grrrrr

> have tried combination after combination, and I can't even get the damn
> mouse to work (Logitec 3 button serial).

Now now... before you jump into X do what I did - read various handbook
pages at www.freebsd.org (you can search the handbook, full text is online
and far more useful and clueful than manpages when starting out as a
sysadmin!  Section 11.4 of the x.html document may be a good place to
start?

From the command `man moused` we learn:
             intellimouse     Microsoft IntelliMouse protocol.  Genius Net-
                              Mouse, ASCII Mie Mouse, Logitech MouseMan+ and
                              FirstMouse+ use this protocol too.  Other mice
                              with a roller/wheel may be compatible with this
                              protocol.
             logitech         Logitech mouse protocol.  Note that this is for
                              old Logitech models.  mouseman or intellimouse
                              should be specified for newer models.

But most likely `moused -t auto /dev/....etc` would be the way to go for
the '-t' type of mouse.

After installing FreeBSD 4.3 from CDROMs (I'm now on 4.5-RELEASE, since I
upgraded via FTP and would definitely recommend to everyone with high
bandwidth to simply make bootable floppies and install the OS over FTP for
free :) but anyway where was I) my first order of business was DHCP, then
mounting my old msdos "slice" since I vowed never to boot into Win98SR1
again, then getting moused to work, then sendmail/ssh, got my
Soundblaster Live sound card and an mp3blaster audio player working in
command line mode ... are you still there? *grins*

NOW I'm trying [AND FAILING MISERABLY] to get X to work.  And as you say,
"it can't be this 'X'ing hard!" :)

> I have a Celeron 366 with a SB16, SiS 6236 video card, and an older 14 inch MicroScan SVGA monitor and have put in the proper information when asked, so I don't have a clue. The biggest problem though is the mouse.

Make sure you research online what make and model the monitor is, and find
out the h-scan and v-scan ranges (in kHz).

> Whenever I run startx it crashes with the lovely "no such file or directory" error about the mouse - which I don't understand, cause it is there.

Could you provide the exact error message?  This doesn't sound familiar.
The fix I keep hearing about, by the way, is to edit the "XF86Config.new"
file and change /dev/mouse to /dev/sysmouse but that would imply your mouse
is working okay in the system console.

> Can anyone shed light on what I might be doing wrong, 'cause I just don't see it. I have also tried setting the mouse up in sysinstall and it won't work there either.
> Thanks

Hope together we will find success one day SOON.  And for what it's worth,
while you are X-less, take the time to familiarize yourself with the
[seeminly limitless] capabilities of FreeBSD in a text-only environment.

You'll be a better sysadmin, by far, for it!!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder