Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2016 00:54:15 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midi and Music Composition on FreeBSD

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 22:21:22 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>Most people will not notice or care about delays less than 1-2ms for
>MIDI when playing a MIDI piano or MIDI organ.

I'm not talking about delay, but MIDI jitter. Indeed as long as you
won't record percussive sounds by one external synth after the other,
playing those percussive sounds in unison, then 2 ms jitter are
tolerable.

>BTW: A good organ player should be capable of handling up to several
>hundred milliseconds of delay in big rooms when doing live
>performances. Delay is sometimes good and realistic. Sound waves are
>not like radio waves exactly :-)

Latency of a pipe organ might be > 50 ms, however, this already is too
much for most poplar musicians. Apart from this, the time required from
the sound source to the ears is something to add where ever and whatever
you are playing, this is not the latency caused by the used gear.

Computer musicians usually require a latency <= 11 ms caused by the
gear.

I don't know what tendencies FreeBSD has got regarding MIDI jitter, but
the audio latency I experienced IIRC was > 100 ms, such a latency
caused by the gear makes live playing impossible. A latency of
several hundreds milliseconds caused by the gear is grotesque and it's
still absurd, if you add the travel time of a large hall,
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundpath.htm , let alone that
in most cases the musicians are close to the sound source, but even in
a church, where the organist is far away from the sound source.

Regards,
Ralf