Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:56:07 +0300
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Subject:   Re: Server doesn't boot when 3 PCIe slots are populated

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am installing a FreeBSD server based on Supermicro H8SML-iF. There are
> three PCIe slots to which I installed 2 NVMe drives and one network card
> Intel I350-T4 (with 4 Ethernet slots).
>
> I am observing a strange behavior where the system doesn't boot if all
> three PCIe slots are populated. It shows this message:
>
> nvme0: <Generic NVMe Device> mem 0xfd8fc000-0xfd8fffff irq 24 at device
> 0.0 on pci1
> nvme0: controller ready did not become 1 within 30000 ms
> nvme0: did not complete shutdown within 5 seconds of notification
>
> The I see a kernel panic/dump and the system reboots after 15 seconds.
>
> If I remove one card, either one of the NVMe drives or the network card,
> the system boots fine. Also, if in BIOS I set PnP OS to YES then sometimes
> it boots (but not always). If I set PnP OS to NO, and all three cards are
> installed, the system never boots.
>
> When the system boots OK I can see that the network card is reported as 4
> separate devices on one of the PCIe slots. I tried different NVMe drives as
> well as changing which device is installed to which slot but the result
> seems to be the same in any case.
>
> What may be the issue? Amount of power drawn by the hardware? Too many
> devices not supported by the motherboard? Too many interrupts for the
> FreeBSD kernel to handle?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> GregJ

>From my experience from other trade marked main boards , an action may be
to check manual of your server board to see whether there are rules about
use of these slots : Sometimes differently shaped slots are supplied with
same ports : If one slot is occupied , the other slot should be left open ,
or rules about not to insert such a kind of device into a slot , for
example , graphic cards .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk