Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 16:15:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> > Oooh, they're wasting space with a root directory! Sin! can't have that.
>
> I bet the root directory and the single file therein are actually
> dummies.  They are only there to not confuse people looking at it
> without the proper driver loaded.

I'd daresay they are - I'd guess that the FAT is only 1 sector long,
and various other space-saving things too.

> I've already been discussing this with Bruce (altough, this has been
> at the time the article about OS/2's install floppies appeared here),
> and the result was that it's rather useless since the BIOS cannot
> handle it, and our installation procedure does require a single (1.2
> MB !!!) floppy at all.

Does the BIOS actually rangecheck the sector numbers you try to read?
Talk about a nuisance 8( (As suggestions go, it wasn't a bad one)

> cheers, J"org

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[