Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jamie Hermans <freebsd@hermans.ab.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auto DMA vs. Manual DMA Settings... FBSD 3.51

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Jamie Hermans wrote:

> I am having an issue with the wd driver (from FBSD 3.51).  Once a customer
> kernel (having the flags 0xa0ffa0ff for wd) is booted, I get screen-full's
> of this error message when there is any hard drive access:
>
>    DMA failure, DMA status 5<active>
>
> I can "slow down" or degrade my DMA settings in the BIOS to avoid this
> message, but I'm sure I am taking a performance penalty in doing this.

It may be that:

a) your cable is damaged;
b) your system is too noisy;
c) your disks proclaim UDMA capability but can't actually deliver it.

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=mid&id=19991220124638.B37447@web.net
>
> ... where this was covered back in December 1999 - I had hoped that this
> would have been resolved by now.
>
> System hardware - Maxtor UDMA66 drive, motherboard only supports UDMA33
> however, so that's not really an issue.

I'd suggest upgrading to a proper DMA66 cable and see if that helps.

> My question ... can I use the ad driver from 4.x with 3.51-RELEASE?  This
> problem doesn't occur under 4.0 or 4.1-RELEASE/STABLE.  If this is possible
> ... how?

No, the ata driver is not available on 3.X.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org