Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:35:40 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alberto Villa <avilla@FreeBSD.org>, Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: MAINTAINER lines and Real Names

On 9/11/2012 6:32 PM, Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2012-09-12 00:50, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> Like with Apache, x 11, or perl?
>> Trying to get something there committed it's like pulling tiger teeth with
>> a pair of pliers. return I agree multiple maintainers is a bad idea.
>> If someone is technical enough to want to maintain that, they can always
>> use an alias it goes to a group.
>> Oh, were talking to Apache  x 11 or Perl again

I see the proposal less about *FreeBSD Ports Teams* and more about
*Non-FreeBSD* groups. We can only blame ourselves for having
non-responsive teams, or having *mailing lists* be maintainers.

I see the benefit here more about allowing us to commit PR from any of
the listed addresses, as well as allow end-users to have more *people*
to contact.

> I see no reason for having multiple MAINTAINERS.
> Commit with implicit and if you like give a statement
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/MaintainerNotes about co-maintaining.
>
> I already wiped my eyes on this commit
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=304107

This is less about implicit approval, and more about having more support
contact for end-users. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing this
in other pors, why not make it standard for 'make maintainer' to list
these people. There's no harm.