Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:51:09 -0700
From:      John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot Get Intel Graphics Working On Intel Mobo

Tim Daneliuk wrote at 22:32 -0600 on Dec 21, 2007:
 > I have an Intel D946GZIS mobo and after repeated fiddling and
 > DAGS still cannot get native video to work under X.   Intel
 > says this board has GMA3000 chip on board.  X -configure
 > says I need the i810 driver.  Running FreeBSD 6.3-Pre as
 > of about 3 days ago (but this has never worked for over 6 months
 > and I am forced to run in VESA mode).
 >
 > But ... when I try the above combination, I get the following:
 >
 > (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
 > (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
 > (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
 > (EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low ??

Look at sys/dev/agp/agp_i810.c for supported intel devices.  The
missing /dev/agpgart means it didn't get identified as supported
hardware at probe time.

 > pciconf -l yields:
 >
 > hostb0@pci0:0:0:        class=0x060000 card=0x53548086 chip=0x29708086 rev=0x02
 > hdr=0x00
 > none0@pci0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x53548086 chip=0x29728086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00

But you may be in luck.  It (pci id 0x2978086 matches your pciconf
listing) seems to be listed in the RELENG_7 version of this file, but
not RELENG_6.  You neglected to to mention what you are running, so
I'll guess 6.x

A few options...

 - try a recent 7.x (support was added in July)
 - try to merge in the changes into your 6.x tree yourself
    (if successful, post here and/or send-pr the patch)
 - submit a PR requesting the mfc