Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:48:19 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Vasim Valejev <vasim@human-capital.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow PCI-X controller perfomance (adaptec 2130SLP)

Vasim Valejev wrote:

> I've tried to set up FreeBSD-current on Dual opteron box with Adaptec 2130SLP
> PCI-X RAID controller (256MB memory). My tests did show that maximum transfer
> rate from controller to OS was about 132MB/s. That is very strange since PCI-X
> maximum speed should be about 1GB/s. Why the controller was so slow? [...]

132 MB/s is a very good transfer rate. Keep in mind that 1 GB/s is the
theoretical limit of the PCI-X bus which means that single devices do
not necessarily accomplish this transfer rate. As far as I can remember
the maximum read transfer rate of a RAID 5 is n - 1, i.e. if one drive
has a maximum transfer rate of 80 MB/s then three of them in a RAID 5
array can't have more than 160 MB/s.

Björn