Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:53:16 -0700
From:      "Eric Parusel" <lists@globalrelay.net>
To:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Loads on a Web/Shell Server

I've had this before as well, and I was told that it was possibly some
sort of odd result of the algorithm that figures out the loadavg...

Here's an email I received after inquiring about this previously
on -stable a few months ago:

===============================
From:  Ian Dowse iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
===============================
>Twice today I've had this problem, and it's "weirding" me out...
>
>On two servers, both with a load average of normally 0.01, all of a
>sudden got load averages of 1.1...!    I did a ps, top, and there
were
>no processes that could account the high loadavg...
>Once I did that on both servers, the load average promptly dropped
>back down to 0.01...!

This problem has been reported a few times; the last time I tried
to investigate it I came to the conclusion that there is a weird
synchronisation effect that confuses the load measurement. The
code for calculating the load average periodically samples the
set of runnable processes - a bit like doing

ps -o state -axl | grep ^R

and counting the lines, except that the kernel does the sampling
so that you don't see `ps', `grep' and maybe `xterm' processes that
occur with the above. The kernel performs a sample like this exactly
once every 5 seconds, and averages the result to produce the load.

My guess was that some process (system or user) also does something
exactly every 5 seconds, and occasionally they get synchronised so
that the load average sample always sees that process running. I'll
probably eventually produce a patch that randomises the timing to
avoid this effect. In the meantime you can probably consider it as
a harmless bug.

Ian