Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:00:23 +0200
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, vmiller@hostileadmin.com, rkoberman@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Ports tree gone unstable?

Don Lewis wrote:
> On 27 Apr, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>> Don Lewis wrote:

>>> This is probably caused by the recent change to globally drop
>>> ${PORTSDIR} from *_DEPENDS.  The framework changes initially were done
>>> in bsd.port.mk r399278, but the the actual removal of ${PORTSDIR} didn't
>>> happen until r411970, r412342, ...
>>>
>> Ok that sorta makes a bit more sense... however as this is a jail and
>> the tree is updated why did it break?  (I have no local mods in the 'ng'
>> build tree - except an additional (local only) couple of ports which are
>> copied in manually after the portsnap update)...
>>
>> Of course the nice thing is my non-ng tree is still working 100% - but
>> that would be because it didn't get the change... but again that's a
>> completely separate tree and the 2 are not associated with each other in
>> any way...
> I was assuming that this was your non-ng tree where you have local
> framework changes ...

No, completely separate repo as the new trees are constantly breaking my
tree so I keep them entirely separate.

> Did you upgrade ports from something older than r411970 (Sun Mar 27
> 01:23:25 2016 UTC)

It would have been around march I did the last build so yes probably
prior to Mar 27.

>   to something more recent?
To the latest.
>   If poudriere on your host
> is seriously old, it might not cope with the framework change.  It looks
> like you need at least 3.1.9, which was released on Wed Oct 14 21:06:00
> 2015 UTC.
Yeah, 3.1.x changes the base OS without authority and breaks the entire
build system (can't build anything but the official tree in it) so it's
been deemed a security issue (because it "upgrades" the existing
repositories) and therefore cannot be installed or used on any of the
existing build servers.

Question is why would it be needed?  Surely the tree is the tree in the
jail and has nothing to do with the host?  or is it not a case of
everything is done in the jail, just the actual building is and
therefore I need new build servers for the NG tree.. Which basically
means I should just decide to fork or erase the whole system because I
can't "NG" right now and I can't actually continue to build in parallel
because of this breakage?

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/