Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:06:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zero copy code review

:freed).  We do not make anything COW for the kernel.
:
: > either, but I could have missed it..  What about drivers that DMA to pages
: > mapped into KVM without checking writability (and hence COW)?
:
:This is a good point.  But I cannot think of any circumstance where a
:driver would be DMA'ing directly to a user owned page (with the
:exception of a vm fault, but this is impossible because the pages are
:resident prior to setting up the send and are wired for the duration
:of the send).
:
:Thanks for the input.  I'm glad to see you and Matt looking at this!
:
:Drew

    Careful.  If you read() from a raw device most disk drivers WILL dma
    directly to a user-owned page.

						-Matt