Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2000 00:09:34 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinsman <nathank@mentisworks.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE hardware specs, advice/experience requested

Howdy all,

I'm putting together some specs for a type of firewall appliance using
the eventual released version of FreeBSD 4 (targeting 4.x because I need
GCC 2.95.x as core compiler).  My current machine specs use the
following hardware which I am not yet sure will be well supported.

FIC PAG-2130 Micro-ATX motherboard with 2/MB cache (Apollo MVP4 chipset)
AMD K6-III/450 processor
(2) 10.1GB Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 40 7200 RPM IDE HDDs (mirrored)
Poware IM-7500 IDE Hot Swappable IDE RAID device
Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ Dual Port NIC (this is recognized as two fxp
devices?)

I have not been running CURRENT extensively, so I would like to know
anyone's experiences with any of the above hardware, or any
recommendations on hardware with a better price/performance ratio at a
low thermal (chassis is very compact).

I was also considering using a NIC from 3COM, or Netgear, or even
Kingston, but it seems that the Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ is currently
the best option.  I understand the 3C905 may also be good, but it lacks
an onboard processor.  Anything with better performance and lower CPU
utilization then the EtherExpress PRO/100+??

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Nathan Kinsman |nathank@mentisworks.com| |http://www.mentisworks.com|
Managing Partner / Network Systems Architect, Mentisworks LLC