Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:24:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys ne2000 card not detected on 4.2R

Hi Greg,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 26 January 2001 at 21:36:24 -0600, John Kenagy wrote:
> > Well, new release new problem.
> >
> > On loading 4.2R the ed0 interface does not appear at all. The
> > configuration utility (during installation) was used to create the
> > kernel.conf file. This is the first time in several upgrades (skipped 4.0
> > and 4.1) where this has happened and results in no network.
>
> Well, I suppose the obvious question is "are you sure you have the I/O
> address and IRQ right?".  If you still have a /var/log/messages from a
> previous version of the system, you could check.  Otherwise the thing
> to do is to boot with the verbose option.  During the countdown on
> booting, hit the space bar and type:

Yep, I got them right. I don't have any old log files but did make a copy
of the kernel configuration file and it is specified the same way.

>   ok set boot_verbose
>   ok boot

I never get this. The space bar has no effect and there is no countdown.

Something I did not notice (my bad) was that during boot
I get an error complaining that /boot/loader cannot be found. It is there
where it is supposed to be.  The system will go on and boot after a delay
of a few seconds.

I've been doing a bit of reading on this but I'm not clear enough on it to
play with it for fear of losing control. This is a "dangerously
dedicated" machine as all installs have been but I'm guessing that that
choice had some hidden negative impact.

Thanks, John