Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:57:16 -0700
From:      Randall Creighton <randy@rcreighton.org>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding NIC to FreeBSD

Grant,
The first thing you need to do is check to make sure your nic is
supported in the kernel. use dmesg and scan through it to see if it
picks up your card. if not check /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT to see if
you can find support for it. then recompile to add your nic.( Check
handbook for details). When you have a working card, then try dhcp of
that interface through /stand/sysinstall. If your sure you need ppp on
dsl then you need something like pppoe ( ckeck LINT for details). I
can't help you with that, as I've never done it. I don't think ppp over
a dsl or cable connection is a good thing. If you have any more
questions send the details ( type of card, chipset, etc.) and I will be
happy to help.

Randy