Date:      02 Apr 2001 02:17:31 EST
From:      "Mark Sergeant" <msergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debian apt-get and FreeBSD

I have to say I like the current system of cd /usr/ports/whatever ; make
install clean a lot more than I ever did like debians apt-get.
Mind you I also have cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile as a crontab entry running
once a week.

Cheers,

Mark

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 00:13:38 -0700 (PDT), Bzdik BSD said:

> Hi All,
>
>  browsing through Debian lists archives I uncovered a conspiracy: some time
>  ago there  was an attempt to get FreeBSD kernel into Debian. It was lead by
>  a Polish gentleman if I am not mistaken. It was anathemised, most of all by
>  J Goerzen (sp?). Main arguments were licensing issues and jeopardising the
>  whole FSF movement whatever that meant... looked more like "not made here"
>  and "who's in control" issue to me, but I am no expert on any OS :)
>
>  which brings me to the perversed in me: could fine people in FreeBSD labour
>  camp port apt-get from Debian? It seems to be much more convenient. (I did
>  not imply superior, since I don't understand innards well).If I missed
>  advantages of the exisiting system, I am sorry and apologise for my
>  ignorance.
>
>  Best to All
>
>  P.S. btw, the same proponent of FSF purity is a lead in Progeny project now
>  - different century and new economy I guess.

There was a young poet named Dan,
Whose poetry never would scan.
	When told this was so,
	He said, "Yes, I know.
It's because I try to put every possible syllable into that last line that I
can."