Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:33:43 -0500
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >  -current (all the latest greatest experimental).
> >  -stable (all the latest gretest "Stable" stuff).
> >  -missioncritical (conservative release, once a year or so - only bug
> > fixes after release).
>
> Actually, the -missioncritical branch is sort of provided for
> now as a function of -previousstable.  There are plenty of people still
> running 2.2.x, for example, and you even still occasionally see commits
> to the 2.2.x branch.
>
> - Jordan

     I can't believe this is a surprise to that many people.  Any major
software has users running anything from the latest/greatest (-current)
to something they got some time in the past that works great (2.x) to
every possible combination in between.
     My point is, if a new release every quarter scares you, upgrade
once/year (except bugfixes/security patches) and get on with your life.
I used 3.0 for several months and life was good, and it still runs on
one of my machines.  I upgraded this one for several reasons that were
specific to me, your requirements will vary.
     For those of you who think FreeBSD changes too quickly, look around
the industry.  How many "patch sets" from the other *ix vendors
(released monthly to quarterly) include new features?

Cheers,
Colin