Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:34:33 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/55526: Update the branches pic and ascii art for the releng article

--==_Exmh_1643692776P

If memory serves me right, "Simon L. Nielsen" wrote:

> On 2003.08.14 08:54:18 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>
> > I'd make a weak argument that an article on release engineering
> > procedures is the wrong place for a definitive list of branches and
> > releases, so expending lots of effort on keeping this exactly up-to-date
> > isn't really required.
>
> There is also the branch ASCII image in the FAQ -
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/introduction.html#STAB=
> LE
> =2E Perhaps we could merge these two one figure e.g. in the Handbook ?

Maybe.  I'm not a big fan of ASCII art for complex graphs, but
definitely I'm in favor of eliminating duplicate information that can
get out of sync.

> > Here's something I was playing with while trying to get some experience=
> =20
> > with OpenOffice:
> >=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/releng/releases.ps
> >=20
> > Not saying that we need to adopt this document, but just tossing it out=
> =20
> > for discussion.
>
> I find it a bit hard to get the "big picture" quickly since the the
> graph lines are "broken".  Just my 0.02c.

Good point.  This is a problem especially near the right side of the
figure, where we have parallel HEAD and RELENG branches.  I'll see if I
can connect these up in a non-confusing, non-ugly way.

Thanks,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1643692776P

--==_Exmh_1643692776P--