Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:47:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Elden Fenison <moon_dog@spamcop.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror))

On Sunday, 21 October 2001 at 12:44:57 +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 21 October 2001 at  0:33:07 +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure whether the same could be said of the Koran.
>>> Recently, I have spoken with a few historians of religion, among
>>> others.  I was explicitly told that the "organic design" contained
>>> in the Koran is one of the worst forms of _totalitarianism_.  In
>>> particular, the "moderate" parts in the Koran are only a means to an
>>> end.
>>
>> I've tried to read the Quran, and I've found it very hard going.  The
>> Bible is a model of clarity by comparison.  The Quran brings home very
>> forcibly that its scribe was not a learned man.  I don't think you can
>> interpret much more into its form.
>
> By the way, as far as I can see on the 'Net for now, there WAS a
> fine pre-islamic culture (which had points of contact with Veda).
> Mr Muhammad felt it his duty to destroy that culture.
>
> The best-known example of this kind of attitude/behavio(u)r is the
> destruction of Alexandria's library: thousands of scrolls (~
> 700.000?) were burnt -- because either they were in contradiction
> with the Koran or they had the same contents as the Koran [sic!].
> Well, I'll have to RTFM on these topics before speaking. :-)

Yes, you should have done.  The library in Alexandria was burnt down
in 412, hundreds of years before the birth of Mohammed, by Christian
monks in the name of Christianity.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nicke/library/library.htm .

>> You mean the Eastern story of the atrocities committed by
>> Christians?  Those were violent times.  I don't think the Muslims
>> something like 700were worse than the Christians.
>
> I was referring to Islamic atrocities in the East (eg India).  I had
> been reading some material about that on the 'Net (cf Hindu
> Holocaust).  l'll have to RTFM on this, too. :-)

Yes, do that.

>>> I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate"
>>> Islam at all.
>>
>> Could you explain that?  There may be fewer Muslims who just pay lip
>> service to their religion than there are Christians, but I wouldn't
>> even be sure about that.  I grew up in Malaysia, a country with Islam
>> as its state religion.  While I don't approve at all of enforced
>> religion (if you're Malay, you *must* be Muslim), until this Mulslim
>> fundamentalism thing sprung up, I found Islam a very gentle religion.
>> For most people, it still is.
>
> "Moderate interpreters" simply discard certain parts of the Koran.

They do the same with the bible.

  Deuteronomy 7:1-3

  When the LORD your God brings you to the land that you are about to
  invade and occupy, and He dislodges many nations before you--the
  Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites,
  and Jebusiites, seven nations much larger than you---and the LORD
  your God delivers them to you and you defeat them, you must doom
  them to destruction: grant them no terms and give them no quarter.

What does this mean if you interpret it literally?  And you know there
are dozens of such arguments.

> Whence the image of gentle religion.  Thus, however, they betray the
> actual totalitarian doctrin underlying the Koran; fundamentalists
> don't.

This is a very one-sided argument.

>>> Of course, strong political reasons make all western political
>>> leaders speak of ahem "moderate Islam".
>>
>> As opposed to moderate Christianity or moderate Judaism?  Members of
>> all three religions continue to commit atrocities in the name of their
>> religion.
>
> Christ != Muhammad

Your point?

> Bruno and Galileo (a _Catholic_ scientist) were well-known examples of
> "Christian" intolerance.  I am afraid this has nothing to do with what Christ
> said, though.  More generally, "Christian" misdoings have very little to do
> with the NT.  These so-called "Christians" were actually barbarians (cf eg the
> crusades) -- of the worst kind.
>
> Religio instrumentum regni.  In the Middle Ages (and later: cf Bruno,
> Galileo), a number of "popes" applied this very ancient principle of politics.
>
> Incidentally, Matthew says: "Nolite possidere aurum neque argentum neque
> pecuniam in zonis vestris non peram in via neque duas tunicas neque
> calciamenta neque virgam dignus enim est operarius cibo suo [...]".  This is
> not exactly in harmony with the existence of a rich _State_ of the Church,
> namely with "popes" pursuing _temporal_ power and interests.  To the shame of
> all Christianity per omnia saecula saeculorum.

So what are you getting at?

> By contrast, Islamic atrocities are in full harmony with what Mr
> Muhammad himself, a very, erm, "gentle" prophet

I didn't say that.

> ("THE Prophet"), said, did, and wrote.

Can you give me a quotation?

Greg