Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:26:39 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "stable" ports?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> and the problems with intel video card (hard freeze of the system)
>>> after upgrade to the new Xorg. So, the tools alone do not solve
>>> that many problems...
>>
>> Yes, of course. Most of the problems here are not technical but
>> organizational. Creating a package manager is relatively easy compared to
>> the project infrastructure (peopleware) that need to support it.
>>
>>> Weighting these all, I would say no. There is already enough fun keeping
>>> ports working on CURRENT. And see below.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>>> Back on topic, would not it be better to provide "official packages for
>>> upgrades" built from some chosen snapshots of the ports tree?
>>
>> No, since it doesn't solve the major problem of forced upgrades of entires
>> subtrees when an ancestor changes (e.g. libgtk, libpng, libjpeg, qt).
>>
>>> In some cases (when really needed?) there are already different variants
>>> of the same port (port / portXY / port-devel).
>>
>> This makes sense for a very small number of ports. E.g. having PHP 5.2 and
>> 5.3 at the same time in the same ports tree would probably add to the
>> confusion.
>>
>> But you *must* upgrade to latest php-5.x port because of security updates
>> and so you are forced to upgrade php to 5.3 (and everything that depends on
>> it) even when 5.2 is supported upstream.
>
> There is one important note to make:
>
> Many times you're forced to upgrade packages because of ABI breakages,
> etc. What would happen if there was a CVE assigned for PNG tomorrow
> (like there was for JPEG a year and change ago) where mass changes
> were required of 1k ports -- you could either have to bump the
> versions or patch _every_ single port like Dirk has been doing for the
> past week and a half (and is still doing... also with other folks'
> help thankfully -- poor guy).
>
> There are issues with underlying test tools that prevented the PNG
> upgrade from being a smoother one...
>
> Here's another potentially novel (or lame idea): has someone
> considered _labeling_ packages stable with branch tags instead of
> creating new branches? That way projects which are broken on certain
> OSes -- for a period of time, due to an underlying OS change like
> utmpx removal -- can be labeled STABLE (or equivalent) once the
> package has stabilized on branch / release X.Y.Z?
>
> Furthermore, people could check out packages with RELENG_* tags, and
> maintainers could use their best judgment to tag the files appropriate
> to the change being committed?
>
> Branch tags are used in the cvs side of the house at least for
> releases (src ala svn is a different matter entirely).
>
> I admit this is a horse of a different color, but it at least makes it
> [potentially] easier for committers to commit in segments instead of
> having to deal with the pain in the ass part of syncing changes
> between N release directories for branches if and when software breaks
> on different versions of FreeBSD -- just a thought.

To answer my own question (shortly after I posed it), yes re@ is
tagging ports. Example:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster/Makefile
(look for RELENG_7_3_0 for example).

Maybe this tagging should be extended quarterly to include updates
like tmlaugh@ was suggesting, as well as STABLE? Seems like a rather
trivial thing to do to solve this problem -- and literally nothing
needs to change as re@ is taking care of the major and minor release
tagging -- maybe portmgr@ should do the quarterly snapshots?

> Also, another idea that was briefly underscored that I (and other
> folks more importantly) like is that release branches should only be
> updated for security releases. I admit, this is a pain in the rear
> with large / sweeping commits (JPEG/PNG anyone :/?), but at least it
> would ensure that stability is largely maintained.

Thanks,
-Garrett