Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:10:36 -0400
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman516@hotmail.com>
To:        "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wi0 watchdog timeout

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To: <mobile@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 18:27 PM
Subject: wi0 watchdog timeout

> Hi,
>
> please keep me CCed, I'm not subscribed.
>
> I've two Orinocco OEM PCMCIA cards (WaveLAN), one in my desktop system
> (-stable from Feb. 5). Now I wanted to test both with a friend, but he
> didn't even get's the signal strength display on his W2K laptop (at a
> distance of 1m this isn't something I expected). Then I found the "wi0:
> watchdog timeout" in the output of dmesg. I think this is the problem we
> have. So I searched for it with google and found some irq tips. But they
> didn't work for me:
>
> (105) netchild@ttyp0 > sysctl -a | grep irq
> hw.pcic.irq: 15
>
> (107) netchild@ttyp0 > ps auxww |grep pccardd
> root        78  0.0  0.3   432  312  ??  Is   11:06PM   0:00.29 pccardd
> -I -i 15 -f /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
>
> pcic0: <TI PCI-1211 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 3 at device 10.0 on pci0
> pcic0: PCI Memory allocated: 0x44000000
> pcic0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [pwr save][FUNC pci int + CSC serial isa irq]
> pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
>
> wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
> wi0: Ethernet address: 00:60:b3:68:b6:67
> wi0: watchdog timeout

    I solved this recently, altho I can't be absolutely certain which
change I made did the trick.  However, this is all that I did (BTW,
I have since put up a another wireless/FBSD box, so I must have
something rite): disable COM2 to ensure its use of IRQ3 doesn't conflict
w/ the PC card.  I also explicitly coded the pcic0 stmt in the kernel
conf as well as the wi0 config stmt in pccard.conf to explicitly use
IRQ3, but I suspect this was overkill.

[snip]

> The firmware is at revision 1.3.4.
>
> In the thread "Lucent wavelan giving wi0: watchdog timeout" Neal C. Ford
> said on Jul 16, 2001, that the PCI adapter may be the problem. Did
> someone solved the problem?

    BTW, my PCI card adapter is cool and hasn't given me a lick of trouble
since I made those changes.  One more word to the wise (which isn't in ANY
of the cookbooks for this stuf):  invoke the NATD (if you're using your
FBSD box as a router/gateway) upon insertion of the card.  Normally,
NATD is invoked long before the PCCARDD is initialized.  Therefore, NATD
craps out immediately because the wi0 interface doesn't exist.  So when
the PC card is inserted, invoke NATD against wi0.

    HTH....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+  It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a  +
+  warning to others.                                                +
===  jetman516@hotmail.com  ===============================  Anon  ===