Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 03:00:00 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simple DNS Configuration

Hi all,

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. It's been a while since I configured
named and I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Here is my
understanding of what is "needed" to get (a very basic configuration of)
named running with a few A records in place:

# sh make-localhost

append default named.conf with:
=====
zone "example.org" {
    type master;
    file "master/example.org";
};
=====

create master/example.org with:
=====
$TTL 3600        ; 1 hour
example.org.  IN      SOA    ns.example.org. admin.example.org. (
                                2006072400      ; Serial
                                1d                    ; Refresh
                                2h                    ; Retry
                                100d                 ; Expire
                                1h )                  ; Minimum TTL

; Machine Names
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
host1            IN      A       192.168.1.1
host2            IN      A       192.168.1.2
host3            IN      A       192.168.1.3
=====

append rc.conf with:
=====
named_enable="YES"
=====

# reboot

Is there something I'm missing? This is on a fresh 6.1 install (rebuilt with
latest src) and a few random ports installed (editors and such) and no
firewall config.

[root@curtis ~]# uname -sri
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC

[root@curtis ~]# host -t a example.org localhost
Using domain server:
Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

Host example.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

-David
--
[root@fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.