Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:28:24 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Missing INDEX file in Ports

Do you really think I care how long it's been removed?

Your missing the point.  INDEX is supposed to be in the RELEASES
on the CDROMs because the CD's are supposed to be self-contained,
ie: you should not require an Internet connection to get a complete
install.  Otherwise there's no point in even bothering to release
the CDROMS in the first place.

INDEX isn't in SNAPS and such because it makes no sense generating
it for a ports tree that's open for committing since new ports could
be added at any time.  However the ports tree on the CDROM is static,
not dynamic.

Please note the following:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/schedule.html

Now, notice down there:

"Final package build starts"

Note any ACTUAL date?

Obviously whomever was supposed to do the ports stuff for the release
didn't follow the procedure exactly correctly, they probably cvsupped
the ports at the last minute and forgot to fetch the INDEX, same as
they forgot to update the release schedule.

Ted