Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:26:01 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

> It helps if you tell people what you are looking for.

Ah, sorry, just dashed that off before I went into a meeting, here's
a bit more info.

> - realtime moving of guests between host-servers?
> - do you really need separate OS'es or would jails serve your purposes?
> - Are you only going to run FreeBSD on FreeBSD or also Linux or Windows on
> FreeBSD?

Currently we have a nice farm of real machines with exonetric - I
have a pair of machines for a datase, using hast to duplicate the
storage and allow fast flipping from one to the other, a pair of machines
acting as firewalls using carp for failover and nginx to load balance,
and a set of boxes acting as a web farm.

I have a requirement to duplicate this - which I was intending to do
using a 2nd set of physical machines. people who know about money
are rather alarmed at the cost of doing so, and have also noticed that
virtual machines are pretty cheap, hence have asked me if I could
do it using a set of virtual machines.

So, am looking to try and mirror a physical setup, which involves hast
and carp, on a set of virtual machines, bought in from some
extermal supplier (probably one more used to hosting Windows). Thats
the spec :_0

Thanks for all the suggestions so far BTW - the comments on VMWare ESX are
interesting (especially http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=168416)
as I did have one place I could get a set of such machines in a very cost
effective way.

-pete.