Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:03:31 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Dave <dave@dgmm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system temperatures

Dave <dave@dgmm.net> writes:

> On Monday 31 August 2015 15:08:36 William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> > It might be worth doing this:
>> >
>> > sysctl -a | grep temp
>> > dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.cpu.1.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.cpu.2.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.cpu.3.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.cpu.4.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.cpu.5.temperature: 42.0C
>> > dev.amdtemp.0.%desc: AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> > dev.amdtemp.0.%driver: amdtemp
>> > dev.amdtemp.0.%parent: hostb4
>> > dev.amdtemp.0.sensor0.core0: 42.0C
>> >
>> > ...just to see what else might show up in relation to temperatures
>> > in the various sysctl variables.
>> >
>> > both healthd and xmbmon in their default states report a CPU temp of ~143c on my system.
>> > 42c is ~107F so that's not the problem.
>>

>> Hmmmm .... OK, your command, followed by my usual incantation:
>>

>> [root@kabini1, /etc, 3:00:06pm] 352 % sysctl -a | grep temp
>> amdtemp0: <AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on hostb5
>> net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr: 0
>> net.inet6.ip6.temppltime: 86400
>> net.inet6.ip6.tempvltime: 604800
>> net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr: 0
>> hw.usb.template: 0
>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 11.8C
>> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 11.8C
>> dev.cpu.2.temperature: 11.8C
>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 11.8C
>> dev.amdtemp.0.%desc: AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> dev.amdtemp.0.%driver: amdtemp
>> dev.amdtemp.0.%parent: hostb5
>> dev.amdtemp.0.sensor0.core0: 11.8C
>> [root@kabini1, /etc, 3:00:08pm] 353 % sysctl -A | egrep
>> '(temperature|usage)'
>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 11.7C
>> dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% last 880us
>> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 11.7C
>> dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00% last 10us
>> dev.cpu.2.temperature: 11.7C
>> dev.cpu.2.cx_usage: 100.00% last 11us
>> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 11.7C
>> dev.cpu.3.cx_usage: 100.00% last 10us
>> [root@kabini1, /etc, 3:00:17pm] 354 %
>>

>> I'd say it's off, room temp is around 76F, or about 26-ish C, & the CPU
>> is generating heat, so it can't be cooler (Thermodynamics). My CPU is an
>> AMD Sempron 3850, jaguar-kabini, quad core, fairly new, April 9 2014 to
>> be precise, exactly the day I bought it :-). I guess it's either
>> something mbd or too-new CPU, but that is rank speculation. Your numbers
>> look at least plausible, so I'd say you are good to go, just trying to
>> get myself there as well. Those CPU's are apparently fairly widely used
>> in laptops & low-end desktops, so while new-ish, they are certainly not
>> rare birds. I like the output of your command a bit better than mine, I
>> think I will adopt it :-) .... Any more info needed, don't hesitate.
>>

>> [root@kabini1, /etc, 3:03:44pm] 354 % uname -a
>> FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p24 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p24 #0: Sat
>> Aug 22 01:54:44 UTC 2015
>> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
>> [root@kabini1, /etc, 3:03:47pm] 355 %
>>

> I'm pretty much at the limit of what I can suggest, but thought at
> [...]

At some point, AMD claimed that they weren't going to try accurate
temperature measurements any more, and just focus on having good enough
information for power control. I don't really have the time to look up
the details in their manuals, though -- this information is not covered
in the data sheet where I expected to find it.